Parish & Ward Church of St. Botolph without Bishopsgate

Visual Tour

Here you can find out more about the church and surroundings by hovering over the red squares.

Clicking on any of the red squares will bring up further information and images.

External View

St. Botolph's - External View
From Houndsditch
Click for more...

The church, the masterpiece of James Gould is seen to fine advantage from the main thoroughfares of Bishopsgate and Houndsditch. Although it survived the Great Fire of London, the current building dates from 1729. (See history for further information).

Garden from Bishopsgate
Click for more...

The famous churchyard was one of the first City church graveyards to be opened for public recreational use. Today it is widely used by city workers as a space to relax and reflect.

Tennis & Netball Court
Click for more...

The churchyard includes a tennis and netball court which is available for hire throughout the year.

Belltower
Click for more...

The fine peal of bells sounds every Wednesday lunchtime to summon city workers to worship and prayer.

Memorial Cross
Click for more...

The war memorial cross is a much admired feature of the churchyard. It is believed to be the first memorial of the Great War (1914-18) to be set up in England and was erected in 1916 following the Battle of Jutland and the death of Lord Kitchener.

Church Hall
Click for more...

The very fine hall, once a home to an infant school and also the Worshipful Company of Fanmakers, is now well used by many city groups and is available for hire.

Rawlins Tomb
Click for more...

The tomb of Sir William Rawlins (1754-1838), a distinguished benefactor of the Parish of St. Botolph. He was an upholsterer by trade, but also joint founder of the Eagle Insurance Company (later Eagle Star). Also see http://www.upholders.co.uk/Treasures/tocsalt.htm

Internal View

St. Botolph's - Internal View
Main door of church
Click for more...

The garden door into St. Botolph's from the churchyard.

Main body of church
Click for more...

Fine carving is just one of the many features of St. Botolph's spectacular interior.

Font
Click for more...

The font in which the poet John Keats (1795-1821) was baptized. He is possibly best known for his "Ode to a Nightingale".

Ikon
Click for more...

St. Botolph’s hosts an annual Service of Thanksgiving for the lives of those who have died from HIV or hepatitis as a result of their treatment by contaminated blood products. A Book of Remembrance records the names of lost loved ones.

Lady Chapel
Click for more...

The Lady Chapel is set aside for private prayer and meditation. It is graced by a beautiful icon and the Book of Remembrance of the Honourable Artillery Company.

Pulpit
Click for more...

The pulpit.

West End of church
Click for more...

The west end of the church including the organ.

Main body of church
Click for more...

The body of the church as seen from the south and facing west.

Bowyers Window
Click for more...

The Worshipful Company of Bowyers traditionally hold their service of installation of a new master at St. Botolph's. Following the St. Mary Axe & Bishopsgate bombings the Company decided to commission a Memorial Window as part of the restoration. It was specially commissioned from Nicola Kantorowicz. The window combines yew leaves and the curve of a longbow. The design grows and moves upwards suggesting resurrection or rebirth. Its colours lend themselves to fire and light and the suggestion of a cross adds a further spiritual element.